How to Start a Blog
To get started with your blogging ministry today, follow these steps:
- Have a clear focus in mind and know whom you intend to reach. Then, choose a title for your blog.
- Sign up for a free account with Blogger.com or WordPress.com. If you are starting a personal blog, create a profile for yourself. If you are starting a church blog, create a profile for the church.
- Decide if your blog will be open to everyone or a defined group that you invite.
- Decide if you want to enable comments and if you want to moderate comments before they are posted.
- Add links from your blog to your church website and other appropriate websites and blogs relevant to your blog’s focus.
- Enable RSS—a family of web feed formats—so people can subscribe easily to your blog.
- Create your first blog post. Remember to stay focused, keep it short and appeal to your target audience.
- Create a link to your blog on your church website.
- List your blog with other sites like Methoblog.com to gain exposure and readership.
- Decide how frequently you will post and stick to a schedule.
Building a blog ministry immediately increases your church’s exposure beyond its walls and extends a big welcome in cyberspace. Your congregation can easily expand its ministry throughout the week and keep people engaged every day of the week, not just on Sunday.