Exploring General Conference
Welcome to Exploring General Conference, a free online course from United Methodist Communications. Here you will learn about the official decision-making body of The United Methodist Church and explore many of the aspects of General Conference in anticipation of the 2016 session.
Each of the five modules in this course will take about 30 minutes to complete. Throughout the course, you will have the opportunity to engage in interactive activities and dig deeper into understanding General Conference. Depending upon the amount of additional exploration you choose, you may spend more time in each module. Remember, you can return to any page, section or activity at any time during the course to review information.
- Cost: Free
- This course is ongoing through June 30, 2016. Click here to register for this course.
Upon successful completion, learners are awarded .25 ALLLM CEU
What will I learn?
The goal of this online course is to give you a basic working knowledge of the church's legislative process through General Conference. As you progress through the five modules in this course, you will develop an understanding of:
- The history of General Conference, its role and purpose.
- How delegates are elected to General Conference, their role and responsibilities.
- How petitions, the general church budget and other important matters are decided through General Conference.
- The various social issues facing The United Methodist Church and the denomination's stance on these issues.
- The highlights of the 2012 General Conference and what's ahead for the 2016 General Conference.